Name:
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, United Kingdom

I'm married with two grown up children and four grandchildren, My wife of 47 years is Sue and we are the same age. My two children are Pamela (blogging occasionly under Pam-bigbustybikerbaby.blogspot.com and Roy,who was recently Paralysed from the waist down due to an Absys on his Spine. My 4 grandchildren are (oldest first) Gavin, Hayley, Thomas,and Zoe. Sue and I are both retired and we're disabled too, her with a badly Arthritic back and spine, me with lung (COPD) and Heart problems.I have always loved Fishing (all sorts) Sue started fishing with me about 8 years ago, now she really enjoys it too. We both love m'cycles and m'cycling, Sue owns and rides her own bike which is a Custom 1981 250 Honda.I own a 1979 Honda CX500. We are both members of this motorcycle club ( view or join our club on http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/) or see my blog post Dec 2007 blog "Getting old, never", of course we're badly resticted now due to our illness, only riding in really good weather.Just over three years ago we lost our best friend and Baby Mojo the border Collie, Gone but never forgotten. Please feel free to use any of our photo's but do let me know you have used them, thank you.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

MY HOBBY (or one of them Fuchsias)






One of my hobby's is growing Fuchsias.There are so many different types to choose from, so far as we can tell the first fuchsia to be named was a W Indian one (Haiti) around 1704 and was called F.triphylla.The man who named it was a French Monk called Father Charles Plumier, he named it after a German Doctor/Herbalist, Leonhart Fuchs.There are about a hundred species as near as we can tell ,these have been hybridised and are known as Cultivars (cultivated Varieties).It is impossible to say how many of these there are, because new ones are appearing all the time, certainly world wide it would run into thousands.As I said (sorry to be boring) there are about a hundred Species but the only ones we are likely to come across are F.arborescens, F.boliviana. F.denticular. F.fulgens. F.procumbens. and F.splenens,that's the end of the technical bit.Perhaps now we might show the breakdown of a Fuchsia.we have a photo here so you can see the parts we're talking about.Firstly Fuchsias are usually divided up into A. Singles, the Corolla on these has only four petals B. Doubles these have eight petals. C. Semi doubles have five to eight petals. Then we come to a real bone of contention Hardyness, Because obviously the climate varies a lot between area's. I think I will use the general consensus of my books on each individual plant I mention. I'm going to show a few Fuchsias otherwise it will get boring, next Fuchsia blog i do I will mention growing and taking cuttings.If any one cares to comment or E-Mail me please do. Sorry about the diagram folks blogger up to its tricks again. CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shammickite said...

Lovely fuchsias, they have such vibrant colours. My mother used to grow a few varieties.
Have a great time at Berrynarbor, I am originally from Combe Martin, so go and have a pint in the Marine for me!

11:37 pm  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi,I too love the colours,also the vast variety of shapes,sizes foliage etc.Also they are so easy to grow and grow cuttings,2 yrs ago i had over 150 of my own cuttings all growing at once.Thanks for the visit.
Bob

11:51 am  
Blogger Kerri said...

Hi Bob, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's always nice to meet new bloggers.
I too love fuchsias. My mum used to grow them in her gardens in Australia (where I was born and raised). They were lovely 6 ft tall shrubs in that climate. I grow them in hanging baskets during our short summers here. I'm wintering one over in the house this year and looking forward to seeing how successfully it grows this summer. My father came to Australia from Birmingham, so I have English blood too! :)

5:12 am  
Blogger Peggy said...

When I had time, I had a lovely collection of fuchsias. I still remember the first one I had, Swingtime. I have finally overcome the urge to squeeze the blossoms just before they open, but it took a while.

6:23 am  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi Peggy,Thanks for the visit.On one of your blogs you mention birds collecting nest material,last spring in our caravan a Blue Tit came right inside 3-4 times trying to pull dog hair and fibres from the foot mat,no camera was handy at the time I'm afraid.
Kerri.Nice to have you visit,I will post quite a few blogs on fuchsias over the next few months.

9:37 am  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Bikerbob just popped in.
Ohh I love Fushia's grew a few in Melbourne. But havent had much luck since moving north maybe its 2 hot for them here.might give them another try . in summer we get temps up to 44c =111f and in winter frosts.

6:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuchsias are pretty here in SW Ohio too but grown in containers as we get very cold in the winters. The hummingbird investigate them but don't drink any nectar for some reason. Maybe there isn't any in the plants I had.

12:46 pm  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Jeanette,Thanks for the visit.As far as Fuchsias are concerned a lot of our new varieties (especially lge doubles)are actually Australian,I realise Aussie is a big area' I suggest you grow them in pots, patio containers that sort of thing,in half shade with plenty of vermiculite mixed in the soil.Please e-mail any time Bob
Abe hi,I think you'r right about the nectar,bees do the same over here ,a quick visit then they'r gone.thaks for the visit.

1:57 pm  
Blogger uncle mick said...

nice sharp pikkies

10:02 pm  
Blogger John said...

abercrombie outlet
christian louboutin shoes
nike trainers uk
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton bags
coach outlet store online clearance
ralph lauren shirts
abercrombie & fitch
ray-ban sunglasses
tory burch boots
louis vuitton outlet
concords 11
ugg boots sale
louis vuitton outlet stores
soccer shoes
coach factory outlet
uggs boots
nike free 5.0
nike huarache
mulberry uk
coach factory outlet online
uggs outlet
tod's shoes
ed hardy outlet
michael kors outlet store
cheap toms
abercrombie & fitch
ugg boots
nike running shoes for women
hollister kids
gucci outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
jordan concords
kate spade handbags
20151230yuanyuan

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home